Motorcycle safety classes are not just for newbies, you know.
- There’s no roof.
- There are no airbags.
- There is no crumple zone.
- There’s no locking seat belt.
- There’s no extended bumper.
Pair all of this with how we have to share the road with distracted, scatterbrained cagers, and I think I’ve made my point as to why taking a motorcycle safety course (while required for newbies) can be a good refresher for experienced riders. After all, even the worst cases of road rash still look better in hindsight, and motorcycle safety tips online can only go so far.
Whether you’re a newly licensed rider who is looking to buy a starter bike (in which case you have to take the course), or you've ridden for 47 years, a motorcycle safety course is a great idea.
Even if you consider yourself an experienced rider, what’s it going to hurt just to brush up a bit? Times are changing, and there are loads more distractions on the road these days. While we may know what we’re doing, that doesn’t mean anything for those who are yakking away on the phone and decide to merge into your lane without looking, or answering a text message while cruising at 70 miles-per-hour.
Reasons you should take a motorcycle safety course:
- You had a close call out on a ride.
- You've never had a close call and want to keep it that way.
- You’ve never ridden a motorcycle and want to mark it off your bucket list.
- You’ve ridden motorcycles forever but have never had formal training.
- It’s been far too long since you’ve been on a bike and feel the itch.
- You’re a perfectionist, and you want to make sure you do it right.
- You’re not a perfectionist, but you still want to do it right.
- You have a family you’d like to make it home to.
- You don’t have a family you’d like to make it home to, but you’re particularly fond of your couch.
- You have a family you don’t want to make it home to, but you’re particularly used to the couch.
Ok, ok. If you're a human who rides motorcycles, you might benefit from taking a safety course. There's pretty much no reason why you wouldn't want to take one...
If you want to brush up on your motorcycle safety:
Stats show that riders with certified training not only crash less often, but they increase their chances of survival if they do crash. Instead of taking a basic rider course, there is a special type of class that enrolls experienced riders, such as yourself.
Lots of dealerships offer these courses, such as Harley-Davidson. Check with the DMV or dealerships in your area to find a class. When you’re done, your completion card could qualify you for a discount on your motorcycle insurance. So, hey. Not only have you done your well-being a favor, but your wallet as well.
If you want to get a motorcycle license:
Of course, the requirements for safety courses can vary from state to state, but it all starts with a motorcycle license or endorsement. While, in some states you can immediately register for a license, some require you get a motorcycle permit before you get a motorcycle license. If you aren’t sure about the laws in your state, the DMV has this nifty little page to help you out, but it pretty much narrows down to one of three things:
- You’ll get a motorcycle permit.
- You’ll get a motorcycle endorsement on your state driver’s license.
- You’ll get a motorcycle license.
Are you an experienced rider who's taken a motorcycle safety course? Tell me about it in a comment! Remember, shiny side up. It's crazy out there sometimes, and I don't want to lose any of my brothers and sisters.
Stay safe and rumble on,
Trade in for a motorcycle online and get your new ride shipped for free!
RumbleOn welcomes trades of all kinds, and we have a full inventory of Certified RumbleOn powersports and motorcycles for sale at great prices. If you want to trade in your current ride for an upgrade, then just submit your scooter, ATV, dirt bike, or any other powersport vehicle for a free Cash Offer, and you can have a Certified used motorcycle shipped for free with no hassle!
All RumbleOn powersports and used motorcycles for sale come with a full Condition Report, are shipped for FREE to your door as-promised or your money back, and with a 90-Day Rideability Guarantee! Read more about online trades here!